Clean Eating Broccoli Cheddar Soup
I don’t know about where you live, but here in South Florida it has been raining for the past four days. It has been a bummer, especially because my mom has been in town visiting. Fortunately she loves to cook and bake so we have spent a lot of our time in the kitchen. Whenever it rains I always want to eat soup, so Tuesday night we made Broccoli Cheddar soup. Oh-my-lanta was this soup good! So good that I wanted to share the recipe with you! This meal took less then 30 minutes from start to finish. I don’t always have hours to cook a healthy meal for my family, but I can certainly take a half hour to cook up some delicious soup! My other favorite thing about this soup is that it is water based instead of broth or stock, which helps cut down on the sodium. My only regret is that I didn’t double the recipe so we could have some the next day. Here is my Clean Eating Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe. In case you are wondering what the term “clean eating” means; it's basically making food from scratch and cutting out all the preservative crap.
CLEAN EATING BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP
2 C water
1 bunch of broccoli (enough for 2-3 cups chopped)
1 C shredded carrots (I buy the bag of carrots already shred, but you can use a cheese grater to shred the carrots too)
1 small onion (2/3 c – 1c chopped)
2 large cloves of garlic (minced)
3 TB flour
3 TB butter
1 C whole milk
All spices to taste (I never measure spices…just a dash here & there)
Sea salt and pepper
1 C shredded cheddar cheese (I buy in a block and shred myself but feel free to use free shred cheese)
1 C shredded white sharp cheddar cheese (self shred as well)
(Feel free to use whatever cheese you have on hand. I just happened to have cheddar cheese and Vermont sharp white cheddar cheese, but you could gouda or whatever combination of cheeses you like)
Directions (Takes 25 minutes to prepare and serves 4)
1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, wash and chop all your veggies (broccoli, carrots, onion) and then put them into the water.
2. Simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes. You want the veggies to be tender.
3. Next start your roux (flour and butter mixture to thicken soup). For a thicker soup, double the flour and butter. Place 3 TB butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Once melted, quickly add the flour and stir. Take off of heat (to keep the butter from burning) and finish mixing. Then add the milk and stir in completely. Depending on if you doubled the roux you may need to add more milk.
4. Then add in the vegetable and water mixture and stir. Let simmer on low heat.
5. Add garlic powder, nutmeg, basil, salt, and pepper to taste.
6. Add the cheeses, and watch the creamy goodness appear before your eyes! If you like things extra cheesy like my family does don’t hesitate to add and extra ½ cup or so to the soup. The more the merrier!
I love hearing from you guys so please let me know if you make this soup and how you like it!
This recipe has been adapted from www.startcleaneating.com