Valentine's Day Brownies
These are seriously THE BEST brownies I have ever made! They are soft, chewy and extra chocolatey!
1 stick of salted butter
2 1-ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
Optional: Confectioner's sugar topping
1. Preheat oven 300 degrees. Butter an 8-inch-square glass pan. For even easier removal, line the bottom and two sides with parchment paper leaving a 2 inch overhang and butter the paper.
2. Melt the butter and unsweeetened chocolate in the top of a double boiler. Remove from the heat and stir well.
3. In a mixing bowl combine the butter-chcocolate with the sugar, flour, baking powder, and vanilla. Stir well.
4. Add the eggs and mix thoroughly. Stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not overcook. The brownies should be moist and chewy.
6. Allow brownies to cool for a few minutes. Using paper overhang lift brownies out of the pan and transfer to a rack to cool.
7. Now for the fun part of making the brownies into hearts. I found that it works best if you use the cookie cutters while the brownies are still a little warm.
8. Sprinkle the brownies with confectioners sugar and enjoy!
1. For the best chocolate taste use Ghiradelli baking chocolate and chocolate chips.
2. I don't think its necessary to butter the parchment paper but if you want to go ahead, it doesnt hurt.
3. If you decide to serve the brownies in squares use a plastic knife because it cuts easier.
4. I love topping the brownies with confectioner's sugar; not only does it taste amazing but it covers any imperfections! Let's be honest sometimes it's hard to get the perfect heart shape without destroying the top of the brownie.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart